We who have nothing to lose must sing and dance before the riches of the world overcome us. We who have nothing to lose must laugh and dance lest our laughter goes from us.
-Langston Hughes

Sunday, July 7, 2013

I Can't Believe That Wasn't London Bridge

I'd like to believe that I didn't have your average tea and crumpets London experience.

There was none of that, "Cheerio," tea at high noon living for me...well, there was tea; I'm not sure what Britons would do without it. 

Anyhoodle, I went to London from June 21-24 to visit my fabulous friend Rachael, whom I met when she did a year-long exchange program at Spelman my senior year; one of her sisters actually graduated from there. My European stay wouldn't have been complete without having visited my one legitimately European friend and not having seen London (again). So, off I went on my merry little way; Rachael and her family were kind enough to open their home to me and include me in their lives for the weekend, for which I am ever grateful. Let it be known that there is absolutely nothing like the Spelman sisterhood or the bond that forms among black women over random things, like home manicures and meaningless television. 

Again, in the interest of actually posting tales of all these final adventures, I shall attempt to show more of my experience than I tell, so here we go:

It all began with this lovely view from the plane, nicely edited thanks to Instagram
The History nerd in me loved the World War commemoration, which was
given to Britain by Australia!
Outside Buckingham Palace

Rach and Me on our transportation. Can we say #ridinroundandgettinit
The guard guys! Didn't get to stand near one and make them speak,
but I'm still quite happy to have even seen them!
Of course this was happening. #touristpic

Big Ben and me!

We saw the making of a movie called "The Anomaly" starring
a British actor while sightseeing

Standing on London Bridge...except, it's not what I thought London
Bridge was!

Standing on the unimpressive London Bridge...

THIS is what I thought London Bridge was. It's actually named Tower
Bridge! Like...say WHAT!?!? That new found knowledge rocked. my. world.

Feeling the hizz-ell out of my bike

...and so was Rachael

London is filled with beautiful works of art that I really don't want to call graffiti

Walking along Brick Lane and this is what I see among the 50 million
curry shops...is this Indian for KFC?? #butno

Inside the Natural History Museum. Made me fall slightly in love
with science for the first time in forever.

Visited Harrod's Department Store...where we saw Sarah Jessica
Parker! She was attempting to be incog, but we almost blew her cover.
They wouldn't let us get a photo, though...

Waiting for our cake! Look at the cute little uniform he's wearing!

London is sooooo colorful, especially in Portobello!

Of course I ate fish and chips! The fish was aight; nobody can fry
fish like my Nanny Jesse. However, the fries chips were really good!

For all of my Harry Potter babes out there. I just had to do it!
At least I wasn't like the boy who made his sister sit on the basket and
made his mother take a photo and film him trying to go through that wall.
Like, forreal, y'all, he thought the wall was going to open up. #PotterMania

Rachael kept telling me I had to try Nando's, which they apparently have in
D.C. or somewhere close by there, but it was my first taste and was delishhhhhhhhh
I almost cried when I saw Auntie Anne's. Like, almost bawled my eyes out.
I don't care that it was almost time to come home; it's really the small things that conjure the biggest
emotions. Best believe I got one to eat right then and one for the road. #nojudgement

I tried to keep this light and breezy, only giving the highlights of my trip. Just know, though, that there was so\ much more to this! I went to a fabulous church with a beautiful message. The pastor's sermon centered around the 5 "keeps": keep praying, keep on believing, keep away from sin, keep giving, keep fasting, all of which I plan to do. I bonded more with Rachael and got to know her sisters and mother, all of whom are just amazing, fierce women. I was able to see touristy London, but also the off the beaten path part that was Rachael's London. We were able to play tourist together, but she also gave me that authentic experience that I'd hoped for. I gotta say, though, I could go for some more bike-riding and Nando's.

Finally, I am beyond grateful to my wonderful Spelman sister-friend for her hospitality, generosity, and company for the weekend. We all need at least one international friend who will show us both the tourist and authentic parts of their 'hood and Rachael did that and more.


Thanks for the memories, amiga. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment